Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Quilts, Quilts, and More Quilts



I've been thinking about my blog for a couple weeks now.  Mostly, I've been thinking about how long I've neglected my blog.  I feel bothered with myself for not keeping it up and sorry for my followers who probably feel out of the loop regarding what I've been up to.  So sorry!

Between finishing up my public speaking class, horse things, and house sitting, I have spent a lot of time quilting.  I have fallen in love with quilting and am so proud of the creations I have made.  I feel like I am finally getting better at choosing fabrics and prints that complement each other, and I feel like I am getting better at following methods and techniques to complete my quilts faster. 

I want to share with you the quilt I am most proud of to date...I call it the Purple Beauty.
I made this after a friend's mom asked me to sew a quilt for her to give her daughter as a wedding present.  As you can imagine, I was pretty excited when I was asked.  After all, my friend and I had been best little friends at daycare back in the day.  It was super nerve wracking to pick out the fabric and make this quilt for a few reasons, though.  First, I had never made a quilt on the request of someone else.  Second, I had never made a queen size quilt.  Lastly, I was at home in Washington while the mother of the bride was out in Kansas; this meant collaborating for this quilt took place by sending pictures and ideas back and forth via text.  It was fun to catch up with my friend's mom during this time.  However, I felt challenged to be undertaking such a big project.  That is because I did not want to disappoint!  In the end, though, it turned out absolutely lovely and everyone thinks it's very nice.

The pillows I made to match this quilt were another challenge.  Basically, I have never been one to make pillows or pillow shams.  Thank goodness for Pinterest!  The round pillow is called a Sprocket Pillow.  I appliqued the R onto the little square pillow which was made using a left over quilt block.  I really am happy with how it turned out!

It's hard to believe this quilt project is over.  It began at Thanksgiving when I thought I'd have all the time in the world to make it.  I finished it and all pillows mid June.  Looking back, time went way too fast while I made everything.

The other two quilts I have been working on are baby quilts!  They are so darn cute!  Check out the bright and cute prints!  They are for the babies my two friends are having.  My friends happen to be cousins and have due dates one month apart.  I just had to make them matching baby quilts because it just seemed too fitting not to!  All I know is that the babies are going to love playing on them! 
 
Check back soon for a little tutorial on what I'm calling the Outdoor Man quilt; this one is for Brian.  I decided it was time to make one for him since he asks when I'll make him a quilt every time I show him the current quilt I'm working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment