Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkins and Cider

I had a very "fall" weekend this past weekend.  It began with carving pumpkins out at my friend Rachel's house around a bonfire on Friday night.  The next morning I went with the Horticulture Club out to Bishop's Orchard (I'm in this way or that way related to them as cousins) to pick apples and press some cider.  Both events were very fun and I enjoyed the talk and laughs with my friends!

I was going to go with a traditional pumpkin face on my pumpkin but then I decided to have to school spirit to be more creative. Sooooo I ended up carving plain Jane letters out of my pumpkin to write out "WSU". I was trying to avoid plain, yet I still managed to be simple. Oh well, its cute and getting the job done out on the front porch.

I also have to mention I made a wonderful apple pie for the bonfire and carving party. At least I'm going to say people liked it since I went home with an empty pie plate.


Pressing cider Saturday morning was fun. The club members showed great team work helping press apples and get every one's milk and juice jugs filled up. I think I remember hearing we filled 27 gallons with cider...we could go into business! The sweet apple smell in the pressing barn was the best along with all the happy voices, even though, it was a bit chilly! Every one's hands were frozen ice cubes by the time we left because the apples had to be washed in a basin of water and dipped out with a bucket to be pressed. There was no avoiding wet hands in this step. Then with apple pieces flying and cider dripping from the press, there was moisture everywhere. But it was fun!!


It was good "fall" weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment