Early on in the summer I decided I wanted to make a quilt. Then I decided making one for their wedding gift would give me a reason to actually get serious about getting a quilt done. Becca kindly agreed they would enjoy a quilt and I asked for their wedding colors, which turned out to be browns and turquoise. I browsed online and at stores but never really liked anything. Then two days after being home from our Tulsa Trip, I had had enough of not sewing or finding fabric so I headed to the Fabric Patch in Ephrata...I fell in love with all the fabric and found the perfect ones for the quilt.
Now back up...I had picked out a pattern, Zig Zag Chevron Quilt, for the quilt weeks before I ever bought the fabric. Yes, the quilt is more browns and blue but that is because none of the turquoises with the browns I had chosen made me happy.
This quilt ended up being very fun and easy to make, and I am completely in love and happy with the finished product. If Tanner and Becca don't like it, I hope they give it back to me!
Now here are some pointers I have for making the quilt, and be sure to use the yardage, measurements, and tips given here Zig Zag Cheveron Quilt.
Lay your fabrics out in a few different orders to see which combination you like best.
Once you've cut your sewn together strips into squares that are roughly 5.25" by 5.25", lay out the WHOLE quilt. Be sure to check that your zig zags match up and flow.
I found that sewing all the squares into pairs to start with made it easy to keep my zig zags from getting off. To sew these pairs together, I started with the square in the lower right hand corner and sewed it to the square above it and to the left. Once I had pairs, I sewed pairs to pairs until I had long angled strips. Then I started in the bottom left hand corner when I sewed the long strips together. At this point, I pinned all seams together to keep corners aligned. I also found it helpful to sew out from the halfway point of these long strips to keep less fabric from being pushed around; this also kept my seams matched up. To keep fabric manageable, I sewed strips together until I got to the middle of the quilt. Next, I began sewing strips together starting in the upper right hand corner. This way I had two halves to sew together and spent less time wrestling large amounts of fabric through and around my machine.
Preparing for quilting: I laid out the backing with the right side against the carpet. Then I layered the batting and quilt top on top of that. To keep everything secure I pinned large safety pins at every bottom point of a zig zag in every other Chevron. Start in the center of the quilt when pinning so that you can work any wrinkles out. Also work your way out from the center when doing the quilting. I did a really simple quilting by sewing in the ditch of every single zig zag.
If you're not familiar with making bias tape or putting on binding, check out the Perfect Binding Tutorial. One thing, tough, on sewing binding to the front of the quilt. If your binding is 1/2" wide, stop sewing the binding to the quilt a 1/2" before the corner of the quilt. If it's 3/4" wide, stop 3/4" from the corner and so on. Please be sure not to cheat on the binding portion of your quilting project! It is okay with me if you machine stich your binding to the quilt front, but please hand sew the binding to the back of the quilt. It will look so much nicer if you do! This Tutorial will get you on track to properly hand sewing the binding.
End product!
Sorry if something does not make sense to you. I did not make the quilt with the intention of doing a step by step post on it; however, I enjoyed this project so much that I wanted to share it. Please ask questions if you need something cleared up! I'll do a better job taking some pictures during my next project...so watch for that!







No comments:
Post a Comment